Close Menu

Can I get visitation or custody, even though I was not married to the mother, and I am not on the birth certificate?

Return to FAQ Videos


In Georgia, a parent can get visitation and custody of a child even when not married to the mother and not on the birth certificate through a process called legitimation. Legitimation establishes the legal relationship between the parent and the child. And as part of that proceeding, the court can go on to award child support and establish a custody and parenting time schedule between the parent and the child.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Life Forward

© 2018 - 2024 Buckhead Family Law. All rights reserved.